Friday, July 12, 2019

A Few More Mid July Photos

I swear that the corn popped up a couple more inches with today's heat, although we are having some humidity issues that make it muggy. There's a good layer of clouds that seem to be holding the humidity in the air.

I measured corn again, and it is 32" so either the foliage perked up with the sun, or they grew more.  I did a more thorough search of the corn, and about half do, now, have the tiny tassels forming inside, so this weekend will be the last of the nitrogen, and we will add a dash of bone meal around each stalk along with a couple granules of potash. Sorry that so many photos are fuzzy - the light was not as intense tonight, and I was a bit shaky with the camera. I should have pulled out the tripod.

Corn height up to 32"

50% have baby tassels

Bigger tassel start
Some of the wind blown badly bent over onions are starting to die back. the tops of all these onions were totally dried out and it was obvious that it was time to pull them now.  About three are the Yellow Onions and the rest are the Walla Walla's.  Not very big, but enough for curing and storing. I have started using this old freezer basket for curing in the garage. Of course, I don't leave them on the floor. I place the basket over the edges of a bucket to allow air to help dry out the outer skins. With the higher humidity, I can't leave them outside in the shade because of the moisture in the air. 
Some Walla Wallas & Yellows
I took a closer look at the beans and poof, the bean blossoms are forming (see arrow). Also, the Dill is picking up steam, as are the thyme plants. Took long enough! 
Green Bean Buds

A few thymes are surviving.

Dills are finally picking up growth.
Purple Cherokee has three fruits. The top photo is the best close up I could accomplish and the next photo has arrows that point to the two tomatoes that were hiding behind the leaves. In the bottom two photos, the SunGold tomato is the only non-heirloom that I have this year, and, as usual, it is ripening sooner than the heirlooms. The Sungold has a lot of tomatoes on it.  I'm guessing close to 50 at this point.  
Two of the Purple Cherokee

Arrows to the Hidden Purple Cherokee

Sungold Ripening

More Sungolds