Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Day 62 - Corn is as High as an Elephant's Eye

Yep, the corn sprouted with that last batch of fertilizer that I added. Now it's just bone meal till the end. The corn is at so many different heights, that in truth I'm not certain what to think. I am hopeful that will prolong the corn season. The tallest with tassels are over eight feet high. Some are still about three feet high. Shrugs. Not sure what to think.  I just know that I planted my corn at the same time as one of my neighbors, and mine looks much taller and thicker, but the neighbor planted a lot more than I did. I think this year will be another good one for corn.  I counted over 50 ears which is good considering I planted 40 seeds. About four of the replants never caught up and are too insubstantial to count. Factoring that, I have 36 viable stalks of corn with 50 ears being produced, already and some may also be produced on a few of the tillers. This could be our best corn harvest ever, if we are lucky.

Thick and Tall corn

Back side Lower portion

Back side Upper portion