Sunday, March 18, 2018

Four/Five Weeks Featherings

I tried another quick movie.  The Cornish Cross (CX) are growing faster than their feathers can come in. Hence they look fairly bald. The Rhode Island Reds (RIR) are a week older than the CX. This is a great way to see how different the hybrid cross chickens are than the heritage. The heritage are feathering uniformly, but growing slower. The RIR are a dual purpose, meaning that they can either be for meat or layers. While the CX are specifically for meat. 

Most of the chicks are super friendly, wanting to be petted and touched whenever someone walks by. They will lean their heads out of the cage in hopes of a quick pat on the head. 


My Garden is going.  I planted garlic late last fall and assumed that it didn't start because there was no growth showing before winter set in.  But late January, the leaves popped up and have been growing ever since.  I was able to protect them through the late frost and snow.  



Mid February, before the snow, I had planted a few spinach plants because the temps were staying above 40F.  Then, we had the snow and I thought I had lost them, but lo' and behold, some of the seeds popped up and here we have some baby spinach plants! 



I planted 18 potato starts last weekend. Garden Time has begun :) 🌱🌱