Sunday, July 15, 2018

Too Flipp'n Hot In July

Today was way too hot for a lot of thing.  99F and way hotter than anticipated.  It burned the leaves on my tomato plants. In fact, on one of the plants, it even singed the stalk. I have taken them out of the direct sunlight and put them in the shade of the tree to protect them for the next few days.  We have already trimmed off the most damaged leaves to hopefully prevent disease. None of the fruit looks damaged. But time will tell.

The hot sun also burned a few of the corn leaves.  They don't look too bad, but too many days like this and I don't know what I will do. The tassels on the corn are popping up.

Other plants appear fine.  I shaded the bell peppers a few weeks ago because the fruit can easily blister even on days that it is not super hot.

I planted some lettuce a week ago, and it is coming up. I have it in a location that does not receive full sun. Cucumbers are doing well. I need to thin out my carrots.  Always a work in progress.

But as some plants are just starting to show progress, others are done. Garlic is being cured in the garage. I harvested the oregano yesterday when I noticed that one of the plants had bolted.  I knew I needed to act fast to save it.

One of the basil plants is ready to harvest. The rest are still pretty small but growing well.
I pulled half of my onions because they were done, albeit very small. Every year is different when it comes to gardens, that's for certain.

Below are the photos of many of the plants as of mid July.


Fresh Harvest of Oregano

This is the 2nd Cutting this Year

Young Dill

Mature Basil Ready for Harvest

First Cherry Tomato - Leaves are burnt

Corn Keep Growing

Corn Tasseling

Another Tassel

First Bush Bean

Lots of Beans on the Bush

Too Many Bell Peppers