Saturday, October 20, 2018

Pesky Leaf Miners in my Spinach

I was asked what is a Leaf Miner.  I'm no expert on the topic, bug, or control. All I know is that there is a little fly that resembles a house fly that lays tiny white eggs on the underneath sides of leaves, and when the eggs hatch, the larva starts munching away on the underneath side of the leave, taking all the juicy nutrients out.  On the top side of the leaf, it looks like a whitish lesion or strip has been damaged.  In a day or two, the leaf curls and shivels around the damage. At first, I thought it was sun damage. 

I routinely (daily) check the leaves for the tiny white eggs.  I scrape off the eggs with my fingernail and flick them out into the grass.  I have read that it is not a good idea to pull the leaves and put them into compost, as this becomes a perfect area for them to breed and grow within the breakdown.  I don't know for certain, that's just what I read. I put damaged leaves into my burn pile or garbage. There are probably better treatments to stop the flies from laying eggs.  I just try to stay organic, and in my micro garden patch, it is not that difficult to check the leaves every day or every other day. 



Leaf Miner Larva Damage

Leaf Miner Eggs are White and in rows

Close up of Eggs

Close up of damage

Leaf Miner Fly *


*Resource - "https://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/leafminer.html"