Friday, April 10, 2020

Meaties Went to Process and Stuff Happening


The eight meat chickens have been processed (yesterday) and they are in the refrigerator "resting" for a couple days before we cut them apart and freeze them.  I have not yet weighed them so I'm not exactly certain how many pounds we ended up with. I will be surprised (based on lifting them) if any are eight pounds.  I'm guessing they will be six and seven pounds. I'll weigh them tomorrow just before we start cutting.

I also made up a huge batch of soap to help us while we are washing our hands so much with the COVID-19 Pandemic thing. This is the largest batch I have ever made, with three pounds of coconut oil, shea butter, palm oil and lard. 

Plus, we have been busy with the chicks.  They are quite playful now. A cute little flock. 

Last, we are finishing up on the new garden space.  Trying this spot with concrete blocks (not cinder blocks but like cinder blocks). While it may look like quite the hodge podge of various sized blocks, that's because I didn't order enough.  And in this quarantine of C-19 Virus, we had to find a different supplier that was open and willing to deliver. We got the blocks but they were much wider than the original blocks.  So, we made do, and will live with the outcome.  It will always be a reminder of building a garden spot in the middle of a pandemic.
👾
So far, the garlic and onions are up.  Some lettuce and peas are sprouting.  No potato sprouts yet. Usually takes several weeks before they are up, plus it was particularly cool and wet for two weeks shortly after I planted them. The tomato seeds and most of the bell pepper seeds sprouted, but again, a big delay due to the cool temps.  I am guessing I will need to purchase some plants from the nursery if I can find any in a few weeks. 
One pound of soap
Same pound of soap
The New Flock 4 weeks
Start of the Garden
Uh-oh - It's not big enough.
Garden is now Long Enough
It needs a lot more dirt!
Some of the blocks are wider than others.