Thursday, May 12, 2022

No Joke - Ducks Grow FAST

 I swear the ducks are already twice as tall as when they arrived. They went for their first real swim today with a towel ready to dry them off before they got too cold.  I used tepid water for them.  The back end of the tub was shallow enough for them to stand if they wanted.  They were not too enthused when I first put them in, and they all huddled in the back corner trying to get out of the water/tub. I tried a large bowl in the tub first, but they were having nothing to do with that, and beside, even a large bowl was not big enough for all eight at once. 

So filled the tub and placed them in one by one as they squawked loudly that they were not having fun! But in a matter of minutes, they were swimming, and diving, and acting like ducks to water. 


Blue and Fawn Runners are sold

All eight runners first moments in the tub

1 week old runners starting to get the swim of things

They started Splishing and a Splashing

So, the pullets are being pullets.  One of the three Easter Eggers was really acting out, and I'm wondering if it is a pain response to refeathering.  The whole back side of her is missing feathers, and the feathers are just starting to push through. I know that can be an unpleasant feeling for chickens when so many are coming back in at the same time. I also was not certain whether it might be a male trying to show dominance, but the telltale signs are not quite there.  An early pink comb does not always mean it is a rooster. The Easter Egger certainly is not as aggressive as the Australorp was.  Just very flighty and didn't like other birds getting close. I have put her into the dog cage now, and I can tell she misses being with her girls, but at the same time, they are talking with one another through the wire, so it's not like she is totally out of the chicken life loop.  

I did try putting a chicken apron on her, but she was even more distressed by that thing chasing her around the pen.  She was literally throwing herself against the wire in an attempt to get the darned thing off her back. I didn't want her to hurt herself or the others in her frenzy.  I figured everyone would be safer if she was in a separate space while her feathers heal. And, then we can start to determine whether or not she is a he. 

A person called me today looking for pullets, which I just don't have anymore to sell.  I have six or seven for my own flock from the 30 something that we started.  I don't want to part with the few remaining that I have.  So I offered up four of my current layers. They may be going to a new home this weekend. I didn't plan to start selling the layers until June, but we will still have five layers in addition to the few pullets we still have. If we have any layers left after June, we can start to integrate the pullets with the hens for the next laying season. 

Barred Plymouth Rock Hen

Blue Barred Rock Hen

Production Blue / Blue Rhode Island Hen

Rhode Island Red Hen