Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Second Coop for New Flock of Orloffs

We have built the second coop and it is ready for the flock when the flock is ready to move outside. There are a few things I like better with this design and a few things I don't like better.

Some things I don't like, for example is the nesting box is too close to the ground, I feel. But the design will not allow it to be up higher. The coop's human access door is h-e-a-v-y! If it falls on me, it is going to break something on my body! We may need to put a latch on the hen's door into the pen. The gate on the end of the pen will need to be tweeked  in order to work correctly.

One of the things I do like is the fact that the coop is quite a bit more spacious. The hen door into the pen will be easier to open. There is no ramp to fuss with. We put a built-in feeder into the coop. We have added electricity into the coop. This coop has already passed the "rain-proof" test. This coop was a lot cheaper to build than the last one.

New Coop - Back and Pen
New Coop - Access Door - Rain Proofing
New Coop - Hen Door into Pen
New Coop - Nesting box - outside
Looking into the Nesting Box
Inside Coop view of Hen Door and removable Roosting bar
Electricity inside coop
Nesting Box view from inside coop
Built in Feeder

This coop and pen was modified from a plan we found in "Building Chicken Coops for Dummies."