Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Three Weeks - Four Russian Orloffs Show Off

The Russian girls are three weeks old today. Similar to last year, some are developing their "long necks" and neck feathers while others are not. They are quite messy with their food. Just like human babies, they seem to like throwing their crumbles out of their tray onto the floor. I swear, we must have 4-5 pounds of food on the floor of their brooder! They love their mealworms and they love mashed hard-boiled eggs.  

They are quite adept at flying now, and, on occasion, will fly out of their brooder up onto my shoulders while I'm cleaning their feeder and water. So I have to be careful not to walk away and the leave a lid/gate off the top at this point.  I have put a makeshift roost in there for them for a high point to rest on and fly up to. They are loving it.

We are about ready to expand their brooder one more time by taking out the divider that I put in there last week. This will be the last time that we enlarge the brooder from eight sq ft to twelve sq ft.  The coop and the pen is ready. We are working on a pen extension to give them more green grass area when they are ready to go outside.

And now we turn to the Orloff show.  These are four of the girls of various sizes. Yes, we still have all ten, this year! Much improved over last year!!! And they are all very sweet.

Peep One - Three weeks old
Peep One - different Angle
Peep One - Showing her feathers for a snuggle
Peep One - and a rub - three weeks old
Blondy - Let me out of here
Blondy - Oops, did I do that?
Peep three - Long Tail - Three weeks old
Peep Three - and Long Neck
Peep Three - See my new neck feathers?
Peep three - I'm looking a little Scraggly.- 21 days old
Peep Four - I'm so OUT of here!
Peep Four - I will only display my beautiful plumage if you hold me
Blondy - I'm back - See my Beautiful Wings..- 21 days old
Blondy - Careful how you hold me! Remember What I did Last Time!
Blondy - where's the food?