Sunday, October 18, 2015

Summer is done?

Carrot with male partsWe certainly have had a relatively mild start to fall this year. Last week, we had temps into the low 80s F. This week is starting off a bit cooler in the 60s. We had our first fall thunder storm Saturday morning. With the temps cooled down, I took this opportunity to do my garden activities. I needed to plant my garlic starts.  I'm also trying red onion from seed. I have never tried starting onions from seed before. We will see how this goes. I cleaned up my two raised beds. I have 22 garlic cloves in the ground and 18 onion seeds. I kept thinking that the rain would do its thing... while it has rained, it's barely been enough to dampen the surface. I actually had to water the garden today! I pulled the last of the carrots out too.  We had a couple of very large carrots, and as per usual, one "male anatomy" looking carrot. I always find this rather humorous. In a couple of weeks, I will need to throw steer manure on the gardens to get that ready for spring planting.  So we are off and running for the winter garden processes. (Sorry the photos are blurry.)

male anatomy carrot
All the older hens are still molting.  Even the hens that started molting the end of August are still working on the re-feathering thing. I'm guessing they may end up doing an eight week molt, this year. Most of the hens, with the exception of coop three, are almost done, though.  We are down to relying on the three new hens' eggs. We have used up all the light brown eggs that we had stored up.  It will be nice when the older cluck clucks get back to producing.

Oh, yah, we also have seeded with a ground cover mix to try to repair the hen/summer damage of the pasture areas.  With such a hot summer and hardly any rains, some of the areas that the chickens were pasturing has become really barren. We will need to reseed in the spring too, to catch the rest of the areas that are currently too hot with hen manure.