Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Starting to Plant Broccoli for Fall

I picked up seeds for broccoli and romaine lettuce.  I have planted them today. If necessary,  I can put them under the shade of the trees if it starts getting too hot in August.  I assume, since July has been so mild, the August will be too. I can always replant the end of August, if my decision turns out to be a mistake. 

I harvested some more basil leaves today and two more bundles of dill branches for dried dill weed.  I planted the dill too close to the beans this year. Oh well, as long as I can get the dill weed from them, I will be happy with that.  Beans may be ready for picking in about a week, perhaps two at the most.

The other thing I learned that I did wrong was plant the thyme too close to the carrots.  Carrots need a lot of moisture on a daily basis, while the thyme only needs watering a couple times per week.  Oh well. Live and Learn. I should have planted the thyme closer to the dill and beans, with the basil closer to the carrots. 

No photos today, just a post so that I can look back on when I planted the broccoli.