Saturday, August 31, 2019

Fried Green Tomatoes

Yes, Fried Green Tomatoes; never had it and never thought I would like it.  As of tonight, I have and I do. We had all those large green German tomatoes and doubt that they will ever get ripe so we decided to give it a try. All that remains of the 15.5 ounce tomato, which is still impressive!  A few days ago, we have a strong wind from the NE that toppled the topheavy German tomato plant.  We were able to save some of the larger tomatoes.  A couple were starting to change color so we have them in a paper bag in the garden window with hopes they will ripen.  The largest was this one, shown below.  Smallest that we saved weigh at least 11 ounces. 

Giant German Tomato

Insides of Tomato

The broccoli is toast.... I set up a new tub with fresh soil and planted some more seeds.  Will see if I can salvage any of the first crop, but I have my doubts. I covered them the other day, probably a few weeks too late, but, covered, nonetheless. I picked off about 10 of these little chew masters.  The one plant had three on it at the time I had my camera! Cabbage worms or Cabbage White Butterfly caterpillars. Neither/nor, the diatomaceous had absolutely zero impact on them.😩

Ugh velvety green caterpillars

Three Ughs on One Demolished Plant

More Demolished Broccoli

Moth/Insect/Butterfly Covers