Saturday, August 3, 2019

It's Wild Blackberry Season 2019

We will have a series of hot days that started with today. I waited until twilight to traipse across our field to the neighbor's fence and picked as many berries as I could get in 15 minutes. Two pounds worth and are now in the freezer for yummy eating later this summer. I will attempt to do that again tomorrow evening.  It's right at the time that the day is starting to cool off and before the mosquitoes are buzzing. 
2 lb of wild blackberries I just picked.

On other gardening updates, it was too hot in the sun for the tomatoes and the bell peppers, so they have been moved to morning sun and afternoon shade to keep them from burning their fruit. Cucumbers continue to pollinate. We have three cucumbers that are five inches long and one that is four inches. Soon!  Pulled more carrots today.  Nice and sweet. They make a great evening snack. 

Thinned out the lettuce. I counted 19 broccoli sprouts. I have five Romaine lettuce starts now. Keep pulling about three to four ripe Sungold tomatoes every day. Cute little orange round orbs. Still waiting for the Chocolate cherry tomatoes to ripen. Boy are they slow! Pulled off some of the Purple Cherokee.  Any branch that has more than three on it are getting thinned because those tomatoes are huge and two tomatoes are plenty per branch. 

Corn ears continue to fill in. Picked about 1/2 pound of green beans yesterday for dinner. Just perfect. Still nice and tender although they are about five to six inches long. I will try to get my radishes pulled tomorrow morning and get them pickled.

August 4 - Update
Rather than creating a new post - I'll just add to yesterdays. Today, I whipped up a pint of sweet pickled radishes and a quart of dill pickled cucumbers. Both are refrigerator versions and should be ready to eat in 48 hours. I also picked another 2 lb 3 oz of blackberries tonight. If I do this every night for the rest of the season, I could, conceivably have a freezer full of blackberries! The first frozen batch of berries filled a 2-quart freezer bag! If I am so inclined, I can make up some blackberry jelly or a pie for some event. Or, just eat them! 😋

Temps were over 90 today.  Thankfully the dewpoint & humidity were a little lower today. Put the sunshade over the greenhouse and hung another shade over the back deck to protect the tomato plants from the hot early afternoon sun.