Thursday, July 22, 2021

It's Always Interesting - Summer 2021

Yesterday, I picked our first tomato.  It's a mystery tomato from a multipack and none listed varieties on the pack match up with what this looks like.  Kind of a small Cinderella, yellow/orange orb. 1.6 oz and almost 2" across.  The photos are taken on a tile that is 3.75" to give a good reference of it's small size BUT not cherry tomato size. 

First 2021 Tomato - a Mystery

A small Cinderella?

We do have a lot of green tomatoes, some that look like oxheart, but mostly like beefsteak varieties. I know that we had at least four plants that were Cherokee Purple, and then the rest or mystery heirlooms from Ed Hume's "early heirloom" pack. 

I also harvested a purple and a red bell pepper.  No photos - they were instantly cut up and added to a salad last night along with a walla walla sweet onion. Very Sweet! 

The past couple of weeks, one of the Salmon Faverelles has refused to roost on her own.  I was expected to walk out there each night to pick her up and carry her over to the coop to place her inside.  The first few nights, she wanted to come right back out and I would stand there, blocking the door until she would hop up on a roost.  She generally does not roost nest to other birds, but will. She would then stay in there the rest of the night. Several weeks of this.  The past two nights are the first night that I have not needed to put her into the coop. So, hopefully, this is the end of that game. 

I checked the nesting boxes like I usually do one last time at the end of the day, and discovered a bit of a slime ball of an egg.  It was a little like a no shell egg, with just a smidge of a shell like layer on it.  The yolk is visible through the translucent layer, and I tried to show that in the photos, but the light reflects too much, and I don't have the best camera or the best lighting. Anyways, I am assuming it is just a newbie egg for now and hope she improves with age. They have free access to oyster shell at all times, and I don't see any pullets being chased away from the oyster shell bin when I am out there. The egg is actually a fairly good sized egg. Just not sure at this point. 

Almost Shell less Egg - tried to show the yolk that is visible through the layer

Rolled the egg over - and the shell is such a strange texture