Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Built a Bigger Brooder

Brooder made of poster covered foam-board
This week, I built a bigger brooder for the quickly growing chicks.  I considered taping together two cardboard boxes, but was concerned that the boxes would not be sturdy enough.  I decided to pick up some inexpensive foam boards like these... Readi-Board from the local dollar store. I made it 30"(w) x 40"(l) x 20"(h) with five of the 30" x 20" sturdy poster boards by cutting one of the boards into thirds and taping two of the extra pieces to extend the sides for a rectangle. I could have just taped two more of the boards across the bottom with duct tape, but decided a tray would be more useful and help to strengthen the walls of the box. Between the roll of duct tape and the boards, I spent about $13.00 on supplies to build the new brooder. This is half the price of the cardboard and plastic brooders that I have seen, with approximately the same floor space, a bit more sturdy than standard cardboard, and easier to clean than the cardboard boxes taped together.  

With 30" by 40", I now have at least 8 square feet of floor space for the five chicks.  This also provides more cool space away from the heat lamped area. The top is covered with  a metal screen next to a plastic baby gate to ensure that Blue does not fly out.  S/he is growing the fastest, and has figured out how to use her/his wings to get across the brooder quickly!