Saturday, May 25, 2013

Heading into Week Four

The three long necks appear to be doing fine.  The two little ones, Purple sneezes a lot with a raspy chirp, and Orange (aka little peep) has a very loud piercing chirp but I think she is near sighted.  I swear, she either has really bad aim or she cannot see clearly. She typically pecks where there is nothing to eat!!! I think she would benefit from some little chicken eyeglasses.  These are the two who seem to be picked on most and pushed out of the way. In an effort to help them as well as to get them accustomed to being held, I have been feeding them separately with some egg yoke while sitting on my lap.  

Since the weather is starting to warm up a little, I have added DE (diatomaceous earth) to their food (a small sprinkle) as well as a light dusting to their shavings.  The only bad thing with this is the Poof Effect every time they jump or move suddenly since the stuff is easily "disturbed." Aside from that, that's about all that's news today.