Saturday, September 14, 2019

Mid September Full Harvest Moon

Well, here we are mid September, corn is no longer being watered.  I have planted cilantro, spinach, a short row of carrots, and a full row of peas in the square garden. I have pulled out all the carrots and the dill. Basil is still growing. I dug up half of the thyme and put it into a 5-gallon bucket for wintering over for next year. I hope it works like the oregano. 

Because of all the issues I had last year with the leaf miners on my spinach, I have created a cover tunnel with cheap tulle and some PVC bits and pieces.  I think this will work.  I may need to use some clips to keep the tulle in place, but we will see.  I can adapt as needed. So there are two spinach plants that are about two inches tall. Then I planted two more a couple weeks later that are each about an inch tall, and then I planted three more today to fill in the south end of the box. I can adjust the height of the tunnel to higher or lower, depending on how tall the plants get. 

Larger Spinach on this side

Younger Spinach on the right side

Spinach From the top
Then, I also put tulle over the broccoli plants that I replanted after the cabbage worm invasion. They seem to be doing fine. No pests, whatsoever.  So I planted another four broccolis and two cauliflowers in a different tub and hopefully, they will start growing in a week or two. And as soon as they start, I will make certain to get them covered. 
Baby Broccoli Protected
The rosemary and parsley (I think those are the herbs I planted) are peeking out of the ground. I moved the romaine into the greenhouse and that should keep the blasted slugs out.  I must say that the Garlic Fire Spray DID the trick with the thrips and aphids.  Keeping it in the greenhouse will help, as well, plus warmth will help with growth over the next month. 

Mystery Herbs - Probably Rosemary

Mystery Herbs - Probably Parsley
I forgot to snap pix of the orange and red bell peppers that are ready to pick.