Thursday, July 2, 2020

Almost a Month Later in July 2020

So it has been almost a month.  Remember I thought I had one peach on the "peachtree"? Well, turns out it is a bing cherry tree.  Shock! Probably better in the long run for us. But now we need to replace the peach tree that we accidentally mowed over a couple years ago. So I picked that one lone now ripe cherry. Cool. 
Apple trees are heavy with apples this year.  We will need to thin it out again.  I don't want to thin too much, but at this rate, it will probably be about 50% of the current apples being pulled off to make room for the remaining.  One tree has a lot more apples than the other, but we should have plenty of apples this year for canning, freezing, and dehydrating. 

Last week, I harvested thyme, marjoram, and parsley for drying. I may need to replant the parsley later. I can't seem to get it to stop trying to bolt. We also have a ton of sweet pea pods.  I'll pick more tomorrow to see if I can freeze them for cooking later. 
Peapods
I have not had much luck with the cucumbers. I have tried one more time. Fingers crossed, they look like they will survive. I'll take what I can get. The acorn squash plants are doing very well.  I had planted extra because I thought they wouldn't survive, like the cucumber, but they actually did much better. Trying to give away the spare starts to others who might want them.  

Acorn Squash
Green bean bush plants are doing fairly well, flowering, etc.  The hardest thing on them, at this point, is that the extreme weather conditions change from hot to cool, then rainy.  It has been difficult for most of my plants.  
Bush Green Beans
Our corn actually is doing well.  I had put extra steer manure around them about a week after transplanting them, and so the soil is "hot" compared to the actual temperatures. I'm glad I thought to do that, early on. 
Corn Transplanted end of May
My onions have been spectacular this year. Apparently the perfect weather for them? Or a change in the type of fertilizer. Regardless, this is the best little crop of onions I have EVER had. 
Walla Walla Sweet Onions
Broccoli has finally started to put out nice sized florets. These were planted/started early April, transplanted in the ground mid April, and yes, 12 weeks later, I finally have something to show for all the hard work of protecting them from the strong winds, the nasty cabbage moth, and other things. I almost waited too long on a few of them since they want to bolt with the few warm days we have had.  They need to be cooked right away. We have enough for a meal with more in the garden that should be ready very soon.  Cauliflower has been on the slower side, but it does not look bad, or attacked by the bugs. Just slow to mature. 

Broccoli Florets
Another Broccoli Floret
Broccoli Ready to Eat
Cauliflower Plants
Today, I finally transplanted the dill, basil, and lavender in the new garden bed.  I had them in the grow tent for a couple of weeks to ensure that they would (probably) survive outside once I could get them out there.  Again, the weather has been less than helpful. Since the plants are still tiny, I circled them.  The basil sprouts are the hardest to see because of the light but the circles are faintly in four areas where the little tiny sprouts are located. 
Lavender Sprout
Basil Sprouts
Dill Sprouts