Saturday, July 4, 2020

Testing a Temporary Tomato Greenhouse July 2020

Two of the most difficult factors of growing tomatoes in our area is 1) wind, and 2) rain.  If we can keep the disease away, the bugs will usually also stay away. But the rain both over waters the roots and damages the leaves, while the wind will whip them around until they fall over on the ground. I don't want to put the tomatoes in the soil because of the underground pests that I have to also contend with. So keeping them in the five gallon buckets works best. This year, we dug some holes to put the buckets into to help keep the roots cooler during the hottest days and so that we do not need to water too much. I want to have them outside rather than in the greenhouse because it is too difficult to regulate temperatures (heat) in the greenhouse.  

The greenhouse is great in the spring and fall, but not in the summer. So, I created a temporary outdoor greenhouse space facing the south that allows the air to flow easier, protect the plants from the worst of the winds, and I can easily cover when it rains. So far, so good. I used PVC for the North wall with clear vinyl table protectors.  It is spendy, but allows the sun unobscured access to the plants in the greenhouse. On the west and south walls, which are about three feet tall, I used the milky clear plastic sheeting (cheap stuff) more to protect from the winds, allows some light to get through, and can be adjusted easily when I need to throw shade cloth or plastic over them to protect from the intense sun and/or the rains. 

I do need to lay down a bit more black plastic to keep the weeds back since it can't be mowed in there. It's a work in progress.  but the fact that I have some actual tomato fruit started has me super excited. There are 10 small tomatoes on the two taller plants.  I plan to keep them topped out at about 3 feet in hopes of promoting stronger branches. 

As I mentioned, I wanted something temporary in this build because I don't want to put the time and resources into something permanent if this isn't really going to help with the tomatoes. We dont' have the best or consistant tomato growing seasons, (like this year) so if I can figure out a way to improve my tomato crops in our region, and that does not cost a lot of money to do, that's my mission. If this works, I have a plan of action for next year to build a better space on the south side of my green house that is "outside" and better for my tomatoes. 

Tomato Space from the East
Tomato space from the West
Some actual Fruit!