Monday, July 20, 2020

New Flock Egg of 2020

So the Rhode Islands were hatched, if I remember correctly, about March 15 this year. It is only week 18, and someone laid their first egg.  I got that makeshift nesting box installed, literally, last night after the pullets had roosted.  I had ordered a couple of square three gallon buckets that have yet to arrive. Instinctively, with the new moon last night, I felt that it was a good time to get some form of nesting box installed, temporarily, at least until the buckets arrive. I taped some water-can boxes around the sides to create the "enclosure" and a cardboard lip to hold in the hay.  Today, I had been looking all day for the fake egg to set inside the temporary box to help them to understand that this was the "nesting" box and not a new bed for sleeping in. I finally found the fake egg and headed out to the coop to put the egg in.  Boy, was I surprised; there in the box was the first egg! Crazy! So, yes, I had to run and grab the camera.  


New Flock's First Egg...

Is In da BOX!

Barred needs to get in the photo

What is that thing?

The Funny Temporary Nesting Box

That Actually Works!

Perfect Timing :)