Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Another Blast of Heat Alert 2021

 So this one may not get up to 115F like last time, but it will be three days over 100F each day.  Apples are ALMOST ready to be picked but need about two more weeks. This intense heat from the sun will bake them on the trees.  So we covered them as best we can, mostly from the south and west directions and, well, hopefully we don't get any strong winds that take our covers off to so distant locations. There are garden row covers and I think they will work for this situation. I guess we shall see if my "sun screen" works on apples. 

All trees and shrubs have been deeply watered this past week. I will continue to water the area in the field that the chickens have devoured.  I seeded with alfalfa and clover and they are still babies.  Hoping they survive this. 

Moving plants to shaded locations that are in pots and I may need to cover the beans and scallions in the garden with some type of shade. I think the carrots and corn will be okay.  I did restart my sweet onions but I put them in a tub of dirt so that I can move it where ever for best growing purposes. I have the cukes in a big tub of dirt too, with empty buckets all around to help keep the slugs away from the young cukes.  Two are almost ready to harvest/pickle.  More are on the vines and the bees are finding the flowers just perfect for pollination purposes. So it's a win-win this year. 

Also covered the tomato grow area with a shade cloth, and I now have my fingers crossed that we don't lose any more plants to the extreme heat, like we did the sweet onions and the garlic. :( 

Apologies for the fuzzy photos. It was getting dark and I need intense light for less fuzzy photos. 

Cucumber Spread

Cuke on a Bucket

Cuke in a Bucket


Baby Cuke

Corn Planted in Phases

Sun Screen for Apples

Ghosts are Early for Halloween?

Tomato Grow Area Shade

Tomato Grow Area Shade from West