Saturday, May 29, 2021

End of May 2021 Garden Update

 The end of May is when I have the majority of my garden started.  I will start more dill and basil seeds but they will be in the garden.  Last year's basil and dill was a bust with the crudy June weather. Several of my friends made the same comments about basil and/or dill seeds simply not coming up. I started basil and dill late last fall in the green house.  The dill started growing, then wintered over and took off in the spring. I can't transplant dill, but they did fine in the grow bags. As you can see, they grew to just under seven feet tall. I'm about ready to pull them and dry them for dill pickle usage. I was able to collect four large bundles of dill weed leaves to dry for other cooking purposes. So that made up for last year's bad growing season. The basil did not come up in the fall.  I planted a bunch again in March in the grow tent and they are nice sized for now.  I only kept six for myself. I'll leave them in the grow bags, but will also plant some seeds in the garden bed. 

Dill Plants at almost 7 feet tall Huge Dill Flower Heads

Basil Plants are doing well in Green house

The Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, and Lavender successfully wintered over, outside.  Lavendar is starting to bloom. The Oregano and Rosemary are ready to harvest for drying. 

Rosemary is Ready for first HarvestOregano is Ready for first Harvest

Lavender is starting to bud

The potatoes in the green house are starting to blossom. If I don't get at least seven pounds of potatoes per bag, I'm going to give up on trying to grow them in containers.  If I don't get at least 15 pounds worth in the garden, I'm going to give up all together.  I did add sulfer when I planted them in the garden.  I have been covering them when we have downpours. So if none of my efforts make a difference this year, then I may just hang up my potato growing hat and leave it to the experts. 

Green House Potato Experiment - starting to flower

Russets today in outdoor gardenbed 5-29-21Russets covered in outdoor gardenbed 5-23-21

The broccoli heads are forming. Yippee! I had kept the broccoli protected in the netting cage until yesterday. We had several wind and rain storms the past week, and with them being so tall, I didn't want the wind to flatten them. 

Broccoli In Netting Cage 5-28-21

Broccoli is forming some headsSmaller Broccoli head


Bunching Onions from last fall are maxing out with nice sized firm onions. The next batch are growing.  I should start one more for fall harvest. The walla walla sweets are growing well. Garlic that I wintered over and moved are finally starting to look better. The shock of the transplant seemed to slow them down. 

A few Red Bunching OnionsGarlic, Walla Walla Sweets, & Bunching Onions

In that same garden bed, I started a row of radishes, two rows of carrots, and two rows of green beans.  In some of the "holes" around the garden, I started some marigolds. All of these were planted on the same day, two weeks ago on May 16. 

Marigold Sprouts 5-29-21Seven Bean Sprouts - two are a bit slowFirst Bean Sprout on 5-23-21Carrots are peeking out 5-23-21

Radish Sprouts 5-23-21

The corn that I planted two weeks ago is mostly up. I needed to reseed in three spots.  I'll plant about 15 more seeds on Sunday or Monday.  My hope is to have three harvests this year.  The photos are a week apart. 

11 of 15 Corn sprouts about 1 inch tall 5-24-21A few more corn sprouts & now some are 2 inches tall

Peas. Crazy peas. These gwo grow bags were all planted sequentially with four seeds two weeks apart, as in each bag got four seeds every two weeks. Can you tell which bag is growing Oregon Snow Peas and which one is growing regular peas? Um. The tall one is the Oregon Snow Peas. I started planting them in March, and this is all the taller the regular peas are? Rolling My Eyes. 

Purplexing Pea Plants

The tomato grow area is filled with plants as of today.  I have eight tomato plants and seven bell pepper plants in there. I have the peppers in the shaded area of the space since this is their first day outside. 

Bell Peppers, Tomatoes and Strawberries in wind/rain shelter Grow SpaceGrow space plants different angle