Sunday, June 9, 2019

Day 11 2019 - Corn Journal

The corn has been doing fairly well, with the exception of a few of the starts have started dying. I have used all of the remaining starts from the greenhouse, but still.... I am guessing that the cold spell that we had, set them back? Not sure.  I am going to germinate ten more seeds.  I have waffled back and forth about doing this. but, even though they will be two weeks behind the rest, perhaps it won't be too late a start. So, for now, we have a fairly good start, but not as good as last year. 

I do think that the row cover did a great job on the ones that had already sprouted early.  There are about six that are struggling.  The next few days will be really hot. So, that will either kill off the weak ones, or pull them out of their lull.

Of the six seeds I had starting in the greenhouse, only four of them sprouted. Two mildewed in the ground.  I will just germinate the ten new seeds in my garden window in the house where there is less humidity and temp fluctuation. 

I will put a dose of blood meal around the well established ones later this week. 

Sweet Corn Starts 11 days since planting