Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Day 19 - Corn Damage Diary

I'm posting this the day after I took the photo. I did not get the fertilizer on the corn over the weekend, like I had hoped.  I did, however, get it sprinkled around the corn on Day 20 (June 18) so I'm not falling too far behind. Today is probably a better day for fertilizing, anyway, because it was a much cooler morning, and won't be too hot today. 

While sprinkling the blood meal around the stalks, I noted that several branches were broken (not from wind) and one tall stalk was laying on the ground.  Although I did not see any prints (man or animal) in the dirt, I am assuming that an animal took a shortcut through and damaged several plants. I set the one back up and am hoping that the roots were not damaged since the soil was still pretty moist and they did not look broken off. In the mean time, I put the PVC cross back up over the area damaged, and placed a side barrier of PVC on the south side of the garden as a (hopeful) deterrent. I guess we will see if that works, or if I need to get my bird netting out for the next month. Big Sigh.  The photo below is "yesterday" when there was no damage yet. 

The large stalks are growing quickly. The smaller ones are working on it.  The two replants from last week are about one inch tall. 

Day 19 6-17-19