Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Last Week of June (post Solstice) Gardening Update 2019

Photos after the rains we received a day earlier than predicted. Luckily, I thought to harvest the garlic today before the rain and didn't wait one more day!  The roots on the garlic were nice and deep this year.  I think I had the best crop of garlic ever, this year.  Let's see, when I planted, I loaded the soil with bone meal, potash and biolive fertilizer about two inches under the soil that I planted the cloves in last fall.  Then, when the stalks came up, I put a layer of steer manure in the top layer of soil.  Then, after the frosts (April), I put on another layer of steer manure.  I probably should have done a final blast of blood meal in May, but I forget. 

After the garlic dries, I will brush off the dirt, cut the roots off and braid the leaves to let them hang and cure.  Then I will fill a box, that I can cover with a lid, with straw and lay the garlic in there, out in the garage, for a cool dark summer storage.  I wish I had a well insulated room in the corner of my garage, but, alas, that's not an option.  I have to find other ways of storing my summer harvests. 
Fresh Harvest Garlic Plants
The Cucumbers are, for all intents and unintended purposes, in two different stages.  Will see how this works out.
Newly Germinated Cuke Plants

Older Cuke Plants
This is a blurry photo of one of the two Walla Walla Sweet Onions that I salvaged from the square garden in the spring.  The two plants went to seed and are blooming now. After they die, we can shake the seeds into an envelope for planting early next spring.  
Walla Walla Sweet Onion Flowering
These are the two green leave lettuce that I planted a few weeks ago. The Red leaf is struggling, but I might get some from it, as well. 
One Type of Leaf Lettuce

Another Type of Leaf Lettuce