Monday, June 24, 2019

Day 22 - Update on Square Garden

Between the thunderstorm shortly after I planted, plus the mix of hot then cool temps, my square garden is quite the mish mash of development.  No photos today, but I'll try tomorrow.  In pulling weeds today, I attempted to define the carrot rows because, the seeds are sprouting all over the garden. I'm guessing between the winds and the heavy downpour early after planting, the teeny tiny seeds were redistributed throughout the garden. 

From the South row to the North:

  • Row 1 - Bush Beans - plants are about three inches tall.  (Sprouted about 10 days.)
  • Row 2 - Dill - still waiting to try to distinguish carrots from the dill plants.  (Sprouted ?)
  • Row 3 - Basil - I see about four that have popped up. Sprouts are about 1/4 inch tall. (Sprouted about 12 - 20 days.)
  • Row 4 - Thyme - I finally see some tiny little dark green sprouts that look a little like the basil but darker.  Sprouts are about 1/8 inch tall. (Sprouted about 21 days.)
  • Row 5 & 6 - Carrots - Thin because they scattered everywhere.  I will reseed this weekend to fill in the voids in the rows. Sprouts are about one inch tall. (Sprouted about 12 days.)
  • Row 7 - Radishes - There are about six that are about two inches tall. The ones I planted about two weeks ago are about 1/2 inch tall. I will plant again this weekend. (Sprouted 5 days.)
As an aside, with the cool temps, the corn patch growth slowed considerably, despite the sunshine. Sunshine, without the heat, does very little for corn. Perhaps next week the temps will come back up and get the corn back on track. The two reseeds are only one to two inches tall which is an indication that the temps are not helping. BUT, they are surviving.  No more broken leaves or any more plants knocked over. I think my makeshift distractions are helping. 

Oh, also the replant of the four germinated cucumber seeds have sprouted three plants.  Keeping them really moist and in the shade so that they don't dry out too quickly, until they kick into gear.  Then I can put them over in the sun with the others. Strawberries are slowing down now. No new blossoms.

Update on Square Garden - None June 25 - rain delay.